Sunday, April 30, 2006

United 93

I've recently seen the movie "United 93". I don't know the extent to which the movie has been faithful to the interdepartmental workings of our government, or to the passenger's vigilance. So keep in mind these comments are not meant to criticize any particular action that might, or might not, have been taken by passengers or administration.

My observations have been inspired by the movie's portrayal of a centralized bureaucracy ill equipped to deal with real time situations and it's portrayal of citizens (aboard the plane) conditioned to let professionals deal with problems. How different might the outcome have been, on this plane and others, if those citizens, that bravely died to avoid becoming a missile, had realized even sooner the task that had become theirs and theirs alone. American's faced with terrorists, high winds, or rising waters must realize that sometimes the cavalry can never come in time. And, that whether part of that cavalry or those besieged, Americans must develop decision making skills that do not require top down administration. Perhaps it was hindsight, the musical score selection, or my general misanthropy, that had me thinking of the passengers. "What are you waiting for? They're just four skinny punks."

Likewise, in my comfortable seat in the theater (well actually it wasn't that comfortable, but I think you may understand what I imply here), I found myself wondering of the military commanders that struggled to get FFA flight approvals and Executive Branch shoot down approval, whether they were more afraid of court martial or of yet another building full of citizens becoming a smoking hole? Sometimes the wrong thing done at the right time is of much more value than the right thing done after the threat has passed. (Am I quoting someone whom I can't recall here?)

I make these observations hoping to point to a broad love of centralization among those that live in "the land of the free and home of the brave" that is a danger to us all. Because of the events of 9/11 we have a new cabinet level administration that during Katrina, seemed again ill prepared to relieve so many that had seemed to sit and wait for the professionals. Again, I feel I must stress that this is not meant to single out the professionals that had what I see as an impossible task. Nor is it meant to single out people that foolishly thought, what so many other American's would have thought in their situation. That thought being I imagine similar to that of the passengers of the missiles of 9/11, just stay calm help will come. We must be prepared, if not materially, at least mentally for even the worst of possible outcomes, and remember that each day our fate is largely of our own choosing. If we can not see a way to survive this day, then how might we on this day chose to be remembered? I shall always remember the "flight that fought back" with much reverence.


Update:
Having found this through nodhimmitude
Please visit Stogie's post as it has much more detailed information on the United of 93
http://saberpoint.blogspot.com/2006/04/flight-93-tale-of-heroism-and-courage.html
and some great links to other sites as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Always On Watch said...

I saw United 93 first thing on Friday. The contrast between the lovers of allah and the courageous passengers, who loved fellowman and country, was clearly elucidated. In other words, the contrast between the lovers of death and the lovers of life.

I've been to Shanksville. In fact, my husband and I spent two hours there. Those passengers, true patriots, achieved a victory. We must never forget that! Shanksville is a special place to visit--all the visitors spoke in whispers, and even the grafitti in the porta-potties was either patriotic or religious.

BTW, the movie was quite accurate, except for the few inconsistencies with the later-released tape (Moussaoui's trial) and the one passenger who didn't want to take action. The bureaucracy did indeed delay, partly out of incredulity. Up until 9/11, most of us here in the States didn't have a clue as to what Islam really is.

5/03/2006 08:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home