Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Could "Ismail Ax" be a phonetic translation of Brother Ismail?

What does "aks" or "aqs" mean in Arabic?

I do not speak Arabic. I do not know, and do not wish introduce confusion to others. The questions are honestly asked in my own confusion.

The instance that causes me to ask this is below.

"with practice you will correctly distinguish ax "but"from aH "brother" (this only works in hebrew, arabic says "ax" forbrother!)"

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/1998-December/000871.html

The fact that I can find no Arabic speakers providing such a translation causes me to think this is not the case. Can anyone dispel my confusion?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Aks could be a transliteration for the Arabic word meaning "opposite, contrast, reflection, reverse" from the verb akasa which means "to reflect, throw back, cast back, mirror"

4/18/2007 06:49:00 PM  
Blogger maccusgermanis said...

Thanks, anon. I'm not sure that clears up my confusion, but it is interesting to know.

4/19/2007 09:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home