Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Offensive Canadians?

To we, truly offensive, -what my friends wife refers to as "neckish"- people, the idea is obviously absurd. But Canadian Human Rights Commissions think they've found one, and they mean to bring him into line. His crime of course was that he wrote a book that spoke rather poorly of islam, and otherwise acted like a bloody yank who thought that the US Const. applied to him. Nevermind that the Const. of we Yanks -I wonder if these Canadians have ever heard of the Mason Dixon- drew inspiration from a source common to the US and Canada. That might have given this Canadian the idea that his society would also value free speech. Some part of Canadian Society obviously still does. Covenant Zone plans to protest this prosecution and welcomes slogans for their rally. I would encourage anyone concerned with the state of free speech in the West to contribute as much as geography and talent may limit.

I'll again be a Newk's in Cahaba Heights at 7pm Thurs. to meet in public to discuss how susceptible my redneck paradise may be to death hippie/islamic encroachment.

4 Comments:

Blogger truepeers said...

redneck paradise! sounds good right now. I think that's what much of Canada used to be, though we were too dumb to know it and listened to those who "knew better".

I've heard of the Mason-Dixon line...

Good to see you're still keeping up the Thursdays. We had a comment the other day from Zazie in France who says she is wearing a blue scarf every Thursday!

5/28/2008 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger maccusgermanis said...

And of course, I've never heard you refer to anyone as a Yank. I was just playing with stereotypes a bit. -I was thinking of Gordon Pinset in Due South- Many Southerners would be confused to be called a Yank.

5/29/2008 07:20:00 AM  
Blogger truepeers said...

Dag tells a story of traveling in the south; he did something to annoy someone at a gas station and was called a damn Yankee or something. He cried "I'm not a Yankee, I'm from Idaho" but that didn't seem to work for some reason. Many Canadians (and Idahoans), including one part of me, are descended from the same "Scotch-Irish" (that's an American term) as many AMericans. But we've had somewhat different experiences in the new world.

5/29/2008 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger maccusgermanis said...

I never before suspected that myself and Dag might have ever met. But really, he can't be considered a "damn yankee" since he didn't, as did my grandfather, stay.

Give 'em hell Monday.

5/29/2008 12:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home